Friday, May 16, 2008

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY / PARKINSON'S OR ESSENTIAL TREMOR

ESSENTIAL TREMOR

One year ago I had a very scary thing I had to face. I was scheduled for a DBS. This means Deep Brain Stimulation. For 6 years I had suffered with tremors on the right side. It was a very trying time not really knowing if I suffered with Parkinson's Disease or not. During this trying time many doctors weren't even sure so I was given many many strong medications to see if any of them would take care of the tremors. NONE OF THEM DID! It really made things worse and the pain and then I had problems with my toes curling which was a side affect of the whole thing. We didn't know what to do so finally I had to consider this newer surgery where they drill into your brain and place an electrode in the left side of the brain (which controls the right side of your body). A week later I was scheduled for another surgery which was to have the neurostimulator out into my left side of my upper chest kind of like the placement of a pacemaker. It took longer to heal from that then it did the brain surgery.

Anyway, the surgery was a success and my right side is tremor free when I turn the stimulator on. I turn it off at bed time which preserves the battery life. This can last any where from 3-5 years (hopefully 5 or longer) and then I have to have a new one put in.

It has been a good year finally having it under control. The Lord gets all the praise and glory for everything. I had much support and most important many many prayers. I couldn't of gotten this far without any of them and they were coming from all over the country. What an encouragement to know that anyone, anywhere in this world we can pray to our Lord Heavenly Father and know that he hears each one of our prayers. He has such great healing power.

I would ask for your prayers again as now I am facing tremors on the left side involving my hand and fingers. I will be meeting with my neurologist next week for a check up plus discussing future possibilities of another surgery for the left side. I will also make an appointment with my surgeon to see what his opinion is. I am asking for wisdom and guidance as I will have to face this decision of when to have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're seriously SO thankful for you, Tammie. You do so much for all of us, and are such a blessing always. Isn't it crazy that it was a year ago, already? Insane.

We're all praying like crazy out here as you get ready to meet with your neurologist again. We know the Lord has His hand on you and His hand on all the medical people involved. We're praying for wisdom and guidance as you all decide what to do. We all love you!